Nov 14, 2010

Here Comes the Holidays


The typical holiday chaos is coming up, and I'm gearing up for it. Too much food, family and did I say too much food. Usually around this time, I don't even attempt at getting any writing done. Between errands, reconnecting with friends I haven't seen in years, early holiday shopping, party planning, I'm too tired to write. Though the holidays give me the best ideas for stories, especially with my family. There is always drama. What family doesn't have it? Luckily, my immediate family tends to be extremely well grounded in the area of dealing with crazy. They know like a bad cold, it will pass. At least that's what my sister plans for because she's having Thanksgiving at her house (Thank you God!). My only role this year is to bring dessert.
This got me thinking about recipes in my books. At first, I was keen on the idea, but something always stops me. Usually, it's my sisters threatening me with lawsuits if I give up the family recipe to strangers. I've yet to give any of my family members my grandmother's recipe for her famous Tea Cakes. My grandmother would make a batch for the entire family and ship them out before Christmas. As children, we use to fight over them. Since we're all adults now, not much has changed. Sadly, my grandmother passed away several years back. But before she went, I sat in her kitchen for over three hours getting that recipe from her. I loved it. Especially, when her idea of a measuring was using a old chipped china tea cup. It gave conversion a whole new meaning for me. When all was said and done, I walked away with a great experience and the only written recipe to my grandmother's Tea Cake.
I don't know about placing recipes in the book but I thought here's one of our family favorites. Just don't tell my sister J

Cream Cheese Chocolate Chip Pound Cake.
1 cup of butter (soften)
1 ½ cup of sugar
2 ¼ cup flour
¼ teaspoon salt
8 oz of Cream Cheese
4 Eggs
2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
2 Teaspoon Vanilla
12 oz package of Chocolate Chips
Direction: Dry mix flour, salt and baking powder. Creams butter and cream cheese in bowl. Beat in sugar until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, alternate with dry mix until thoroughly mixed. Add chips. Pour into greased bunt pans. Bake at 350 degrees 50 -60 minutes, until done.

No comments: